EI 1353 INDUSTRIAL INSTRUMENTATION – II 3 0 0 100AIM
To equip the students with relevant knowledge to suit the industrial requirement.
i. To study about humidity and moisture measurements.
ii. To study about mechanical flow meters and their installation.
iii. To study about area flow meters, mass flow meters and calibration.
iv. To know elaborately about non-content type flow meters.
v. To know about various types of level measurements adopted in
1. MEASUREMENT OF HUMIDITY & MOISTURE 8
Humidity terms – Dry and wet bulb psychrometers – Hot wire electrode type hygrometer – Dew cell – Electrolysis type hygrometer – Commercial type dew point meter – Moisture terms – Different methods of moisture measurement – Moisture measurement in granular materials, solid penetrable materials like wood, web type material.
2. MECHANICAL TYPE FLOW METERS 8
Theory of fixed restriction valuable head type flow meters – Orifice plate – Venturi tube – Flow nozzle – Dall tube – installation of head flow meters – Piping arrangement for different fluids – Pitot tube.
3. QUANTITY METERS, AREA FLOW METERS AND MASS FLOW METERS 10
Positive displacement flow meters – Constructional details and theory of operation of mutating disc, reciprocating piston, oval gear and helix type flow meters – Inferential meter – Turbine flow meter – Rotameter – Theory and installation – Angular momentum mass flow meter – Coriolis mass flow meters – Thermal mass flow meters – Volume flow meter plus density measurement – Calibration of flow meters – Dynamic weighing method.
4. ELECTRICAL TYPE FLOW METER 10
Principle and constructional details of electromagnetic flow meter – Different types of excitation schemes used – Different types of ultrasonic flow meters – Laser doppler anemometer systems – Vortex shedding flow meter – Target flow meter – Solid flow rate measurement – Guidelines for selection of flow meter.
5. LEVEL MEASUREMENT 9
Gauge glass techniques coupled with photoelectric readout system – Float type level indication – Different schemes – Level switches, level measurement using displacer and torque tube – Bubble system. Boiler drum level measurement – Differential pressure method – Hydra step systems – Electrical types of level gauges using resistance, capacitance, nuclear radiation and ultrasonic sensors.
L = 45 Total = 45
1. D. Patranabis, ‘Principles of Industrial Instrumentation’, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 1999.
2. R.K. Jain, ‘Mechanical & Industrial Measurements’, Khanna publishers, New Delhi, 1999.
1. A.K. Sawhney and P. Sawhney, ‘A Course on Mechanical Measurement, Instrumentation and Control’, Dhanpat Rai and Co, 2004.
2. D.P.Eckman, ‘Industrial Instrumentation’, Wiley Eastern Limited, 1975.
3. Alan S. Morris, ‘Principles of Measurement and Instrumentation’, Prentice Hall of India, 2003.
4. B.C. Nakra and K.K. Chaudry, ‘Instrumentation, Measurement and Analysis’, Tata McGraw Hill, 2004.
5. B.G.Liptak, ‘Instrument Engineers Hand Book (Measurement)’, Chilton Book Co., 1994.