EI 1301 INDUSTRIAL INSTRUMENTATION – I 3 0 0 100AIM
To equip the students with relevant knowledge to suit the industrial requirements.
To provide sound knowledge about various techniques used for the measurement
of industrial parameters.
i. Discussion of load cells, torque meter and various velocity pick-ups.
ii. Exposure to various accelerometer pick-ups, vibrometers, density and viscosity pick-ups.
iii. To have an adequate knowledge about pressure transducers.
iv. To have an idea about the temperature standards, calibration and
signal conditioning used in RTD’s.
v. To have a sound knowledge about thermocouples and pyrometry techniques.
1. MEASUREMENT OF FORCE, TORQUE AND VELOCITY 7
Electric balance – Different types of load cells – Magnets – Elastic load cells - Strain gauge load cell – Different methods of torque measurement – Strain gauge, relative regular twist – Speed measurement – Revolution counter – Capacitive tacho-drag cup type tacho – D.C and A.C tacho generators – Stroboscope.
2. MEASUREMENT OF ACCELERATION, VIBRATION, DENSITY AND
Accelerometers – LVDT, piezoelectric, strain gauge and variable reluctance type accelerometers – Mechanical type vibration instruments – Seismic instrument as an accelerometer and vibrometer – Calibration of vibration pick-ups – Units of density, specific gravity and viscosity used in industries – Baume scale, API scale – Pressure head type densitometer – Float type densitometer – Ultrasonic densitometer – Bridge type gas densitometer – Viscosity terms – Saybolt viscometer – Rotameter type.
3. PRESSURE MEASUREMENT 12
Units of pressure - Manometers – Different types – Elastic type pressure gauges – Bourdon type bellows – Diaphragms – Electrical methods – Elastic elements with LVDT and strain gauges – Capacitive type pressure gauge – Piezo resistive pressure sensor – Resonator pressure sensor – Measurement of vacuum – McLeod gauge – Thermal conductivity gauges – Ionization gauge, cold cathode and hot cathode types – Testing and calibration of pressure gauges – Dead weight tester.
4. TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT 9
Definitions and standards – Primary and secondary fixed points – Calibration of thermometer, different types of filled in system thermometer – Sources of errors in filled in systems and their compensation – Bimetallic thermometers – Electrical methods of temperature measurement – Signal conditioning of industrial RTDs and their characteristics – Three lead and four lead RTDs.
5. THERMOCOUPLES AND PYROMETERS 9
Thermocouples – Laws of thermocouple – Fabrication of industrial thermocouples – Signal conditioning of thermocouples output – Thermal block reference functions – Commercial circuits for cold junction compensation – Response of thermocouple – Special techniques for measuring high temperature using thermocouples – Radiation methods of temperature measurement – Radiation fundamentals – Total radiation & selective radiation pyrometers – Optical pyrometer – Two colour radiation pyrometers.
L = 45 Total = 45
1. E.O. Doebelin, ‘Measurement Systems – Application and Design’, Tata McGraw Hill publishing company, 2003.
2. R.K. Jain, ‘Mechanical and Industrial Measurements’, Khanna Publishers, New Delhi,1999.
1. D. Patranabis, ‘Principles of Industrial Instrumentation’, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company Ltd, 1996.
2. A.K. Sawhney and P. Sawhney, ‘A Course on Mechanical Measurements, Instrumentation and Control’, Dhanpath Rai and Co, 2004.
3. B.C. Nakra & K.K.Chaudary, ‘Instrumentation Measurement & Analysis’, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Ltd, 2004.
4. S.K. Singh, ‘Industrial Instrumentation and Control’, Tata McGraw Hill, 2003.
5. D.P. Eckman’, Industrial Instrumentation’, Wiley Eastern Ltd.,