CE 1161 FLUID AND SOLID MECHANICS 3 1 0 100
At the end of this course the student is expected to have a knowledge of the concepts of Forces, Equilibrium, Stress, Strain, Shear force, Bending moment and torsion and should be able to apply these concepts to simple problems in beams and shafts. Further, he /she is also expected to gain knowledge of the fundamentals of fluid flow and their applications to flow through pipes and hydraulic machines. He / She should be able to solve application problems in these
1. DEFORMATION OF SOLIDS AND BENDING OF BEAMS 10
Concept of stress and strain – Normal and shear stresses – Simple and compound Stresses - Elasticity and elastic moduli – Poisson’s ratio – Concept of Shear Force and Bending Moment – Bending moment and shear force diagrams for simply supported, cantilever and over hanging beams.
2. SHAFTS AND SPRINGS 8
Torsion – Shear stresses in circular solid and hollow shafts - Torque and power – Helical and leaf springs – Load, deflection, stress and stiffness relationships.
3. FLUID PROPERTY AND FLOW CHARACTERISTICS 9
Surface tension – Capillarity – Viscosity – Newton’s law – Fluid pressure and pressure head - Fluid velocity – Uniform and steady flow – Reynolds number - Classification as laminar and turbulent flow – Continuity equation.
4. FLOW DYNAMICS AND MEASUREMENT IN PIPE NETWORKS 9
Euler’s and Bernoulli’s Equations – Manometer, Venturi meter and orifice meter - Pressure losses along the flow – Categorisation into minor losses - Flow through circular pipes – Statement of Darcy – Weisbach equation – Friction factor – Pipes in series and parallel - Hydraulic gradient.
5. TURBINES AND PUMPS 9
Introduction and Classification of Turbines – Specific Speed – Turbine characteristics Speed Governance – Classification - Centrifugal Pumps – Impeller Blade Profiles – Cavitation in pumps – Pump characteristics – Efficiency – Reciprocating Pumps – Classification.
L = 45 L = 15 Total = 60
1. R. K. Rajput, ‘Strength of Materials (Mechanics of Solids)’, S. Chand & Company Ltd., 2003.
2. K. L. Kumar, ‘Engineering Fluid Mechanics’, S. Chand & Company Ltd., 2002.
1. R.K., Bansal, Strength of Materials, M/s. Lakshmi Publications (P) Ltd, 2004.
2. R.K., Bansal, A text book on Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulic Mechanics,- M/s. Lakshmi Publications (P) Ltd, 2004.