ME1304 ENGINEERING METROLOGY AND MEASUREMENTS 3 0 0 100
(Common to Mechanical and Automobile)
To understand the principles of metrology and measurements, methods of measurement and its application in manufacturing industries.
1. CONCEPT OF MEASUREMENT 9
General concept – Generalised measurement system-Units and standards-measuring instruments- sensitivity, readability, range of accuracy, precision-static and dynamic response-repeatability-
systematic and random errors-correction, calibration, interchangeability.
2. LINEAR AND ANGULAR MEASUREMENT 9
Definition of metrology-Linear measuring instruments: Vernier, micrometer, interval measurement, Slip gauges and classification, interferometery, optical flats, limit gauges- Comparators: Mechanical, pneumatic and electrical types, applications.
Angular measurements:-Sine bar, optical bevel protractor, angle Decker – Taper measurements, coordinate measuring machine (CMM).
3. FORM MEASUREMENT 9
Measurement of screw threads-Thread gauges, floating carriage micrometer-measurement of gears-tooth thickness-constant chord and base tangent method-Gleason gear testing machine – radius measurements-surface finish, straightness, flatness and roundness measurements.
4. LASER AND ADVANCES IN METROLOGY 9
Precision instruments based on laser-Principles- laser interferometer-application in linear, angular measurements and machine tool metrology
Coordinate measuring machine (CMM)- Constructional features – types, applications – digital devices- computer aided inspection.
5. MEASUREMENT OF POWER, FLOW AND TEMPERATURE RELATED PROPERTIES 9
Force, torque, power :-mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical type-Flow measurement: Venturi, orifice, rotameter, pitot tube –Temperature: bimetallic strip, pressure thermometers, thermocouples, electrical resistance thermister.
TOTAL : 45
1. Jain R.K., Engineering Metrology, Khanna Publishers, 1994
2. Alan S. Morris, The Essence of Measurement, Prentice Hall of India, 1997
1. Gupta S.C, Engineering Metrology, Dhanpat rai Publications, 1984
2. Jayal A.K, Instrumentation and Mechanical Measurements, Galgotia Publications 2000
3. Beckwith T.G, and N. Lewis Buck, Mechanical Measurements, Addison Wesley, 1991
4. Donald D Eckman, Industrial Instrumentation, Wiley Eastern, 1985.