ME1009 DESIGN OF JIGS FIXTURES AND PRESS TOOLS 3 0 0 100
(Common to Mechanical, Automobile and Production – V semester core)
• To understand the principles, functions and design practices of Jigs, Fixtures and dies for press working
• To understand the Principles of jigs and fixtures design, locating principles, locating elements and clamping Devices.
1. PURPOSE TYPES AND FUNCTIONS OF JIGS AND FIXTURES 8
Tool design objectives - Production devices - Inspection devices - Materials used in Jigs and Fixtures – Types of Jigs - Types of Fixtures-Mechanical actuation-pneumatic and hydraulic
actuation-Analysis of clamping force-Tolerance and error analysis.
2. JIGS 9
Drill bushes –different types of jigs-plate latch, channel, box, post, angle plate, angular post, turnover, pot jigs-Automatic drill jigs-Rack and pinion operated. Air operated Jigs components. Design and development of Jigs for given components.
3. FIXTURES 9
General principles of boring, lathe, milling and broaching fixtures- Grinding, planning and shaping fixtures, assembly, Inspection and welding fixtures- Modular fixtures . Design and development of fixtures for given component.
4. PRESS WORKING TERMINOLOGIES AND ELEMENTS OF DIES AND STRIP LAY OUT 10
Press working terminology-Presses and press accessories-Computation of capacities and tonnage requirements. Elements of progressive combination and compound dies:Die block-die shoe. Bolster plate-punch plate-punch holder-guide pins and bushes – strippers –knockouts-stops –pilots-Selection f standard die sets strip lay out-strip lay out calculations
5. DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT OF DIES 9
Design and development of progressive and compound dies for Blanking and piercing operations. Bending dies – development of bending dies-forming and drawing dies-Development of drawing dies. Design considerations in forging, extrusion, casting and plastic dies
TOTAL : 45
(Use of approved design data book is permitted)
1. Edward G Hoffman, Jigs & Fixture Design, Thomson – Delmar Learning, Singapore 2004
2. Donaldson. C, Tool Design, Tata McGraw-Hill, 1986
1. Kempster, “Jigs & Fixtures Design, The English Language Book Society”, 1978
2. Joshi, P.H., “Jigs & Fixtures, Second Edition”, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi 2004
3. Hiram E Grant, ‘ Jigs and Fixture’ Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2003
3. Fundamentals of Tool Design, CEEE Edition, ASTME, 1983
4. PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore - Design Data Handbook.