ME1006 QUALITY CONTROL AND RELIABILITY ENGINEERING 3 0 0 100
(Common to Mechanical, Automobile and Production- VI semester core)
• To introduce the concept of SQC
• To understand process control and acceptance sampling procedure and their application.
• To learn the concept of reliability.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION AND PROCESS CONTROL FOR VARIABLES 10
Introduction, definition of quality, basic concept of quality, definition of SQC, benefits and
limitation of SQC, Quality assurance, Quality cost-Variation in process- factors – process capability – process capability studies and simple problems – Theory of control chart- uses of control chart – Control chart for variables – X chart, R chart and chart.
UNIT II PROCESS CONTROL FOR ATTRIBUTES 8
Control chart for attributes –control chart for proportion or fraction defectives – p chart and np chart – control chart for defects – C and U charts, State of control and process out of control identification in charts.
UNIT III ACCEPTANCE SAMPLING 9
Lot by lot sampling – types – probability of acceptance in single, double, multiple sampling techniques – O.C. curves – producer’s Risk and consumer’s Risk. AQL, LTPD, AOQL concepts-standard sampling plans for AQL and LTPD- uses of standard sampling plans.
UNIT IV LIFE TESTING - RELIABILITY 9
Life testing – Objective – failure data analysis, Mean failure rate, mean time to failure, mean time between failure, hazard rate, system reliability, series, parallel and mixed configuration – simple problems. Maintainability and availability – simple problems. Acceptance sampling based on reliability test – O.C Curves.
UNIT V QUALITY AND RELIABLITY 9
Reliability improvements – techniques- use of Pareto analysis – design for reliability – redundancy unit and standby redundancy – Optimization in reliability – Product design – Product analysis – Product development – Product life cycles.
TOTAL : 45
Note: Use of approved statistical table permitted in the examination.
1. GRANT, EUGENE .L“Statistical Quality Control “, McGraw-Hill, 1996
2. L.S.SRINATH,”Reliability Engineering” Affiliated East west press, 1991
1. MONOHAR MAHAJAN, “Statistical Quality Control”, Dhanpat Rai & Sons, 2001.
2. R.C.GUPTA, “Statistical Quality control”, Khanna Publishers, 1997
3. BESTERFIELD D.H., “Quality Control”, Prentice Hall, 1993
4. SHARMA S.C., “Inspection Quality Control and Reliability”, Khanna Publishers, 1998
5. DANNY SAMSON, “Manufacturing & Operations Strategy”, Prentice Hall, 1991
6. CONNOR, P.D.T.O., “Practical Reliability Engineering”, John Wiley, 1993.