ME1004 VIBRATION AND NOISE CONTROL 3 0 0 100
(Common To Mechanical and Automobile)
The students will be able to understand the sources of vibration and noise in automobiles and make design modifications to reduce the vibration and noise and improve the life of the components
UNIT I BASICS OF VIBRATION 9
Introduction, classification of vibration: free and forced vibration, undamped and damped vibration, linear and non linear vibration, response of damped and undamped systems under
harmonic force, analysis of single degree and two degree of freedom systems, torsional vibration, determination of natural frequencies.
UNIT II BASICS OF NOISE 9
Introduction, amplitude, frequency, wavelength and sound pressure level, addition, subtraction and averaging decibel levels, noise dose level, legislation, measurement and analysis of noise, measurement environment, equipment, frequency analysis, tracking analysis, sound quality analysis.
UNIT III AUTOMOTIVE NOISE SOURCES 9
Noise Characteristics of engines, engine overall noise levels, assessment of combustion noise, assessment of mechanical noise, engine radiated noise, intake and exhaust noise, engine accessory contributed noise, transmission noise, aerodynamic noise, tyre noise, brake noise.
UNIT IV CONTROL TECHNIQUES 9
Vibration isolation, tuned absorbers, untuned viscous dampers, damping treatments, application dynamic forces generated by IC engines, engine isolation, crank shaft damping, modal analysis of the mass elastic model shock absorbers.
UNIT V SOURCE OF NOISE AND CONTROL 9
Methods for control of engine noise, combustion noise, mechanical noise, predictive analysis, palliative treatments and enclosures, automotive noise control principles, sound in enclosures, sound energy absorption, sound transmission through barriers
TOTAL : 45
1. Singiresu S.Rao - “Mechanical Vibrations” - Pearson Education, ISBM –81-297-0179-0 - 2004.
2. Kewal Pujara “Vibrations and Noise for Engineers, Dhanpat Rai & Sons, 1992.
1. Bernard Challen and Rodica Baranescu - “Diesel Engine Refrence Book” - Second edition - SAE International - ISBN 0-7680-0403-9 – 1999.
2. Julian Happian-Smith - “An Introduction to Modern Vehicle Design”- Butterworth-Heinemann, ISBN 0750-5044-3 - 2004
3. John Fenton - “Handbook of Automotive body Construction and Design Analysis - Professional Engineering Publishing, ISBN 1-86058-073- 1998.