EC1212 CIRCUITS AND NETWORKS 3 1 0 100
To know about basic analysis and synthesis techniques used in electronics and communications.
• To study about various network theorems and the method of application to analyse a circuit.
• To know the concept of transfer function of a network and the nature of response to external inputs.
• To synthesize a network in different forms from the transfer
• To know the concept and design of frequency selective filters.
1. BASICS OF CIRCUIT ANALYSIS 9
Kirchoff’s Laws, DC and AC excitation, series and parallel circuits, sinusoidal steady state analysis, Mesh current and Node Voltage method of Analysis, Matrix method of Analysis.
2. NETWORK THEOREMS AND RESONANCE CIRCUITS 9
Thevenin’s and Norton’s theorems, Superposition theorem, Compensation theorem, Reciprocity theorem, Maximum power transfer theorem, series and parallel resonance, Quality factor and Bandwidth.
3. ANALYSIS OF NETWORKS IN ‘S’ DOMAIN 9
Network elements, Transient response of RL, RC and RLC Circuits to DC excitation, Natural and forced oscillations, Two-port Networks, Parameters and transfer function, Interconnection of two-ports.
4. ELEMENTS OF NETWORK SYNTHESIS 9
Network realizability, Hurwitz polynomials, Positive real functions, Properties of RL, RC and LC Networks, Foster and Cauer forms of Realization, Transmission Zeroes, synthesis of transfer functions
5. FILTER DESIGN 9
Butterworth and Chebyshev approximation, Normalized specifications, Lowpasss filter design, Frequency transformations, Frequency and Impedance denormalisation, Types of frequency selective filters, Linear phase filters, Active filter design concepts.
TOTAL : 60
1. A. Sudhakar, Shyammohan S. Palli, “Circuits and Networks Analysis and Synthesis”, Second Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2002. Unit (I – IV)
2. Vasudev. K. Aartre, “Network Theory and Filter Design”, Wiley – Eastern Ltd, Second Edition, 1993. (Unit V)
1. William H. Hayt and Jack E. Kermmerly, “Engineering Circuit Analysis”, McGraw-Hill International Edition, 1993.
2. Joseph Edminister and Mahmood Nahri, “Electric Circuits”, Third Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 1999.
3. Umesh Sinha, “Network Analysis”, Sataya Prakasan, New Delhi, 1986.
4. Franklin. F. Kuo, “Network Analysis and Synthesis”, John Wiley, 1996.
5. Vanval Kenburg, “Network Analysis”, Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi, 1994.