BM1403 DIAGNOSTIC AND THERAPEUTIC EQUIPMENTS – II 3 0 0 100
• To offer overall idea about the application of ultrasonics and diathermy principles in clinical applications and transmission of biosignals using telemetry techniques.
• Understand sources of leakage current and method of monitoring it.
• To study various display techniques and use of ultrasonics in various
fields of medicine.
• To understand various patient monitoring systems and transmission of biosignals using telemetry principles.
• To study the clinical application of diathermy principles.
• To understand diagnostic applications of endoscopy and tomography.
• To study sources of leakage current and method of monitoring it.
UNIT I ULTRASONIC TECHNIQUES FOR DIAGNOSIS 10
Basic principles of Echo technique, display techniques A, B, M modes, Echo cardiograms, Echo encephalogram, Ultrasonic applied as diagnostic tool in ophthalmology, obstetrics and gynaecology.
UNIT II PATIENT MONITORING AND BIOTELEMETRY 9
Patient monitoring system – ICU, post operative, ICCU, single channel telemetry, multichannel telemetry, frequency allotment, radiopill. Tranmsmission of Biosignals over telephone lines.
UNIT III DIATHERMY 9
Clinical applications of electrotherapy, short wave diathermy, ultrasonic diathermy, microwave diathermy, surgical diathermy unit, IR lamps, UV lamps.
UNIT IV SPECIAL DIAGNOSTIC TECHNIQUES 9
Principles of Cryogenic technique and application, Endoscopy, Laproscopy, Thermography.
UNIT V PATIENT SAFETY 8
Sources of leakage current, Micro and Macro shock, monitoring circuits, earthing schemes.
TOTAL : 45
1. Khandpur R.S, “Handbook of Biomedical Instrumentation”, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 1997.
1. John G.Webster, “Medical Instrumentation Application and Design”, John Wiley and sons, New York, 1998.
2. Joseph J.Carr and John M.Brown, “Introduction to Biomedical equipment technology”, John Wiley and sons, New York, 1997.