BM1402 MEDICAL OPTICS 3 0 0 100
• To offer clear understanding of tissue characteristics when it is exposed to optical energy.
• To know about various optical sources and applications of lasers.
• To know about Holography and its medical applications.
• To study in-depth the various optical properties of tissues and light
interactions with tissues.
• To study about various optical sources and instrumentation for various measurements.
• To study various applications of lasers.
• To understand the special techniques like photo dynamic therapy and optical holography.
1. OPTICAL PROPERTIES OF THE TISSUES 9
Refraction, Scattering, absorption, light transport inside the tissue, tissue properties, Light interaction with tissues, optothermal interaction, fluorescence, speckles.
2. INSTRUMENTATION IN PHOTONICS 9
Instrumentation for absorption, scattering and emission measurements, excitation light sources – high pressure arc lamp, solid state LEDs, LASERs, optical filters, polarisers, solid state detectors, time resolved and phase resolved detectors.
3. APPLICATIONS OF LASERS 9
Laser in tissue welding, lasers in dermatology, lasers in ophthalmology, otolaryngology, urology.
4. OPTICAL HOLOGRAPHY 9
Wavefronts, Interference patterns, principle of hologram, optical hologram, applications.
5. SPECIAL TECHNIQUES 9
Near field imaging of biological structures, in vitro clinical diagnostic, fluorescent spectroscopy, photodynamic therapy.
TOTAL : 45
1. Tuan Vo Dirh, “Biomedical photonics – Handbook”, CRC Press, Bocaraton, 2003 (Unit I – III, V).
2. Leon Goldman, M.D., & R.James Rockwell, Jr., “Lasers in Medicine”, Gordon and Breach, Science Publishers Inc., New York, 1971 (Unit IV).