BM1401 COMPUTERS IN MEDICINE 3 0 1 100
To have a clear understanding of computer hardwares and the applications of computers in data acquisition, monitoring, system modelling and medical research.
• To study the 8086 architecture, instruction sets and various units of PC-AT.
• Study the technique of data acquisition, storage, retrieval and transmission of bioinformation.
• To understand the application of computers in patient monitoring.
• To understand the application of computers in system modelling and pattern recognition, medical imaging and development of expert systems.
1. OVERVIEW OF COMPUTER HARDWARE PC-AT 9
8086 architecture, system connections, Instruction set & programming, Microcontrollers, Motherboard and its logic, RS232-C and IEEE bus standards, CRT controllers, FDC, HDC and Post sequence, PC based video card, modems and networking.
2. SYSTEM DESIGN 9
Multichannel computerised ECG, EMG and EEG data acquisition, storage and retrieval, transmission of signal and images.
3. COMPUTERS IN PATIENT MONITORING 9
Physiological monitoring, automated ICU, computerised arrhythmia monitoring, information flow in a clinical lab, computerised concepts, interfacing to HIS.
4. COMPUTERS IN MEDICAL SYSTEMS MODELLING 9
Radiotherapy, drug design, drug delivery system, physiological system modelling and simulation.
5. COMPUTERS IN MEDICAL RESEARCH 9
Role of expert systems, pattern recognition techniques in medical image classification, ANN concepts.
TOTAL : 45
1. R.D.Lee, “Computers in Medicine”, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 1999.
2. Douglas V.Hall, “Microprocessors and Interfacing : Programming and hardware”, McGraw-Hill, Singapore, 1999.