BM1255 PATHOLOGY AND MICROBIOLOGY 3 0 0 100
To get the basic understanding of pathological and microbiological variations in identifying various diseased conditions.
• To study the normal cell structures and variations during diseased conditions.
• To get the thorough understanding of humodynamic variations in various pathological conditions.
• To understand the pathological conditions of infections and immunity.
• To study the bacterial growth pattern and different types of microscopes used for these purpose.
• To study the different types of staining techniques used to identify disease forming organism.
1. NORMAL CELL STRUCTURE 9
Cell Degeneration and regeneration - Inflammations, apoptosis, Neoplasia. Classification, Difference between benign and malignant tumors – Etiology of tumors – Spread of Tumors.
2. FLUID AND HEAMODYNAMIC DERANGEMENT 9
Edema, Shock, Hemorrhage – Thrombus – Embolism – Disseminated intra vascular Coagulation – Hematological disorders. Bleeding Disorders – Leukemia – lymphoma.
3. GENETIC DISORDERS, INFECTION AND IMMUNITY 9
Autosomal and Sex linked disorders – Storage disorders – Types of hypersensitivity reactions – Immune deficiency Syndrome – Primary – HIV – Viral disease. Chlamydial – Bacterial – mycoplasma – Rickettsial disease – Fungal, protozolal. – Helminthic disease.
4. General Structural Organization of Bacterial, Viral Cell – Growth and Identification of Bacteria, Observation of culture.
Microscopy: - Light Microscopy – Dark field Microscopy – Phase contrast microscopy – electron microscopy. 9
5. Identification of disease producing organism, Simple Stain, Gram Stain, AFB Stain, Fluorescent techniques, Antigen – Antibody Technique. 9
TOTAL : 45
1. Robbins S.L & Ramzi S.C, “Pathologic Basis of Diseases’, W.B. Saunders Co. 1999
2. Anatha Narayanan.R & Jayaram Panicker C.R, ‘Text Book of Microbiology, Orient Laongman’ 1998.