BM1252 SENSORS AND MEASURING TECHNIQUES 3 0 0 100
To gain knowledge about the measuring instruments and the methods of measurement.
• To get the basic idea of measurements and the errors associated with measurement.
• To know about the types of transducers available.
• To understand the function of signal generators and analyzers.
• To gain information about the function of various measuring instruments and display and recording systems and the methods of using them.
1. CONCEPTS OF MEASUREMENT: 6
Measurements, instrumentation, errors in measurements, calibration and standard.
2. TRANSDUCERS: 10
Classification and characteristics of transducers, transducers for measurement of pressure, flow and temperature, optical sensors, acoustic sensors, DC and AC bridges.
3. SIGNAL GENERATORS AND SIGNAL ANALYSERS 10
AF generator, Pulse generator, AM/FM signal generators, Function generator, Sweep frequency generator, wave analyser, spectrum analyser, logic analyser, distortion analyser.
4. DIGITAL INSTRUMENTS: 10
Digital Voltmeters and Multimeters, automation in Voltmeters, accuracy in DVM, Guarding techniques, Frequency, period, time interval and pulse width measurement.
5. DATA DISPLAY AND RECORDING SYSTEM: 9
CRO, Single beam, dual trace, double beam CRO, storage CRO, sampling oscilloscope, analog and digital recorders, multichannel column display oscilloscope, magnetic recorder.
TOTAL : 45
1. Cooper, “ Electronic Instrumentation and Measurement techniques “ Prentice Hall of India, 1998.
1. Doeblin, “Measurements Systems “, McGraw-Hill, 1990.
2. C. Barney, “ Intelligent Instrumentation “, Prentice hall of India, 1985.
3. C.S. Rangan ,” Instrumentation Devices and Systems”, Tata McGraw-Hill 1998.