BM1203 BIOCHEMISTRY 3 0 0 100
• To give a clear picture about various chemical activities taking place at cellular level.
• To understand the various chemical activities taking place in blood, muscles and at neuromuscular junctions.
• To study the biochemical activities taking place at cellular level.
• To study the chemical composition of blood and urine in normal and abnormal conditions.
• Chemical activities taking place at muscles and neuromuscular
• To study the various analysis to be done in the biofluids and different equipments used for this purpose.
Biochemistry of living cell, Sub cellular fractionation using the differential centrifugation method. Function of each organelle Redox Potential, Oxidative Phosphorylation , Transport of substances across biological membrane.
NUCLEIC ACID: Composition and Function, Genes, Outline of DNA Structure,
Re-Combinant DNA and its applications.
2. ENZYMES AND HORMONES 9
Enzymes: Chemical Nature, General Properties, Spectrophotometric measurement of enzymes, Isolation techniques, Diagnostic enzymes. Enzyme biotechnology.
Hormones: Chemical Nature, Properties of hormones, Hormonal Assay and their Significance.
3. CARBOHYDRATE, LIPID, PROTEIN 9
(i) Carbohydrate – Classification, Metabolism of carbohydrate and its dysfunction. Uses of Carbohydrates.
(ii) Lipids: Classification, Metabolism of lipids, Cholesterol, bile acids, Transport of lipids, Lipid metabolism dysfunction.
(iii) Protein: Classification, Amino acids, Chromatography, electrophoresis and architecture of protein molecules.
(i) BIO CHEMISTRY OF BLOOD AND BODY FLUIDS: Liver Function tests, Renal Function Tests, Blood gas Analysis, Measurement of Electrolytes. Their abnormal and Normal Values and Conditions.
(ii) Biochemistry of Urine and Stools testing.
5. DIAGNOSTIC TOOL 9
Principles and Application of Photometry , Spectrophotometry, Flurometry, Flame Photometry, Densitometry, Calorimetry, Automation in Clinical Laboratory. Use of Isotopes in Biochemistry.
TOTAL : 45
1. Dr. Ambiga Shanmugam, ‘Fundamentals of Bio Chemistry for Medical Students’, Karthic Printers, Madras 1997.