BM1012 ASSIST DEVICES 3 0 0 100
To understand functioning and usage of electromechanical units which will restore normal functional ability of particular organ which is defective temporarily or permanently.
• To study various mechanical techniques that will help failing heart.
• To study the functioning of the unit which does the clearance of urea from
• To understand the tests to assess the hearing loss and development of electronic devices to compensate for the loss.
• To study the various orthodic devices and prosthetic devices to overcome orthopaedic problems.
• To understand electrical stimulation techniques used in clinical applications.
1. CARDIAC ASSIST DEVICES 9
Principle of External counter pulsation techniques, intra aortic balloon pump, Auxillary ventricle and schematic for temporary bypass of left ventricle, prosthetic heart valves.
2. HEMODIALYSERS 9
Artificial kidney, Dialysis action, hemodialyser unit, membrane dialysis, portable dialyser monitoring and functional parameters.
3. HEARING AIDS 9
Common tests – audiograms, airconduction, boneconduction, masking techniques, SISI, Hearing aids – principles, drawbacks in the conventional unit, DSP based hearing aids.
4. PROSTHETIC AND ORTHODIC DEVICES 9
Hand and arm replacement – different types of models, externally powered limb prosthesis, feedback in orthodic system, functional electrical stimulation, sensory assist devices.
5. RECENT TRENDS 9
Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator, bio-feedback.
TOTAL : 45
1. Levine S.N. (ed), “Advances in Bio-medical engineering and Medical physics”, Vol. I, II, IV, inter university publications, New York, 1968 (Unit I, IV, V).
2. Kopff W.J, “Artificial Organs”, John Wiley and sons, New York, 1976. (Unit II ).
3. Albert M.Cook and Webster J.G, “Therapeutic Medical Devices”, Prentice Hall Inc., New Jersey, 1982 (Unit III).