AT1351 AUTOMOTIVE CHASSIS DESIGN 3 1 0 100
At the end of the course the student will be able to understand the fundamental principles involved in design of components of automotive chassis, the complete design exercise and arrive at important dimensions of chassis components and appreciate the use of modern techniques like CAD.
UNIT – I CLUTCH DESIGN CALCULATION 9+3
Design of single plate clutch, multi plate clutch, design of centrifugal clutch,
cone clutch, energy dissipated, torque capacity of clutch, design of clutch components, design details of roller and sprag type of clutches
UNIT – II GEAR BOX 9+3
Performance of vehicle, total resistance to motion, traction and tractive effort, acceleration, calculation of gear ratio, design of three speed gear box, design of four speed gear boxes.
UNIT – III VEHICLE FRAME AND SUSPENSION 9+3
Study of loads, moments and stresses on frame members, computer aided design of frame for passenger and commercial vehicles, computer aided design of leaf springs, coil springs and torsion bar springs.
UNIT – IV FRONT AXLE AND STEERING SYSTEMS 9+3
Analysis of loads, moments and stresses at different sections of front axle, determination of loads at kingpin bearings, wheel spindle bearings, choice of bearings, determination of optimum dimensions and proportions for steering linkages ensuring minimum error in steering.
UNIT – V FINAL DRIVE AND REAR AXLE 9+3
Design of propeller shaft, design details of final drive gearing, design details of full floating, semi-floating and three quarter floating rear shafts and rear axle housings.
TOTAL : 60
1. Giri.N.K- “Automobile Mechanics”- Khanna Publisher, New Delhi- 2002
1. Heldt.P.M - “Automotive Chassis”- Chilton Co., New York- 1992
2. Steeds. W -“Mechanics of Road Vehicles”- Illiffe Books Ltd., London- 1990
3. Giles.K.G - Steering, Suspension and tyres”- Illiffe Books Ltd., London - 1988
4. Newton Steeds & Garret- “Motor Vehicle”- Illiffe Books Ltd., London – 2000
5. Heldt.P.M- “Torque converter” - Chilton Book Co., New York - 1982
6. Dean Averns - “Automobile Chassis Design”- Illiffe Books Ltd – 1992.