AT1302 AUTOMOTIVE ENGINES COMPONENTS DESIGN 3 1 0 100
To make the students understand the design concept and principles of various engine components. These concepts and principles are familiarized for design of components.
UNIT –I INTRODUCTION 9+3
Engineering materials and their physical properties applied to design, selection of
materials, factor of safety, endurance limit, notch sensitivity, principles of design optimization, future trends, computer aided drafting.
UNIT–II LIMITS, FITS, TOLERANCES, SURFACE FINISH, SHAFTS AND SPRINGS 9+3
Definitions, types of tolerances and fits, design considerations for interference fits, surface finish, surface roughness, design of power transmission shafts, design of helical springs.
UNIT – III DESIGN OF CYLINDER AND PISTON 9+3
Choice of material for cylinder and piston, piston friction, piston slap, design of cylinder, piston, piston pin, piston rings, piston failures, lubrication of piston assembly.
UNIT – IV DESIGN OF CONNECTING ROD, CRANKSHAFT 9+3
Material for connecting rod, determining minimum length of connecting rod, small end and big end design, shank design, design of big end cap bolts, connecting rod failures, balancing of I.C. Engines, significance of firing order, material for crankshaft, design of crankshaft under bending and twisting, balancing weight calculations.
UNIT – V DESIGN OF VALVES AND FLYWHEEL 9+3
Design aspects of intake and exhaust manifolds, inlet and Exhaust valves, valve springs, tappets, valve train. Materials and design of flywheel.
TOTAL : 60
1. R.K. Jain, “Machine Design”, Khanna Publishers, New Delhi, 1997.
2. “Design Data Book”, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore, 2000.
1. P.M.Heldt “High Speed Combustion Engines”, Oxford-IBH Publishing Co., Calcutta, 1965.
2. A.Kolchin and V.Demidov, “Design of Automotive Engines”, MIR Publishers, Moscow, 1984.
3. Sundararaja Murthy T.V “Machine Design”, Khanna Publishers, New Delhi, 1991.