AT1251 AUTOMOTIVE DIESEL ENGINES 3 0 0 100
To study and understand the principles involved in design, construction of diesel engines and its components.
UNIT – I BASIC THEORY 9
Diesel engine construction and operation, two stroke and four stroke diesel dual cycle engines, diesel cycle, fuel-air and actual cycle analysis, diesel fuel, ignition quality, cetane number, laboratory tests for
diesel fuels, standards and specifications.
UNIT – II FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM 9
Requirements, air and solid injection, functions of components, jerk and distributor type pumps common rail system, PTFI system pressure waves, injection lag, unit injector, mechanical and pneumatic governors, fuel injector, types of injection nozzle, nozzle tests, spray characteristics, injection timing, pump calibration.
UNIT – III AIR MOTION, COMBUSTION AND COMBUSTION CHAMBERS 9
Importance of air motion, swirl, squish and turbulence, swirl ratio, fuel air mixing, stages of combustion, delay period, factors affecting delay period, knock in CI engines. Combustion chamber: design requirements, direct and indirect injection combustion chambers, M type combustion chamber.
UNIT – IV SUPERCHARGING AND TURBOCHARGING 9
Necessity and limitations, types of supercharging and turbocharging, relative merits, matching of turbocharger, exhaust gas recirculation, charge cooling.
UNIT – V DIESEL ENGINE TESTING AND PERFORMANCE 9
Automotive and stationary diesel engine testing and related emission standards. Engine performance and emission characteristics, variables affecting engine performance and emission, methods to improve engine performance, heat balance, performance maps.
TOTAL : 45
1. Ganesan.V “Internal Combustion Engines”, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Co., New Delhi, 2003.
2. M.L.Mathur and R. P.Sharma “A course in Internal Combustion Engines”, Dhanpat Rai and Sons, 2002.
1. Dr.K.K.Ramalingam “Internal Combustion Engines Theory and Practice”, Scitech Publications (India) Pvt. Ltd., Chennai 600 017, 2002.
2. Heywood.J.B “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”, McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1988.
3. Heinz Heister “Advanced Engine Technology”, SAE, 1995.
4. Pulkrabek “Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engines”, Practice Hall of India 2003.