AE1451 ROCKETS AND MISSILES 3 0 0 100
To introduce basic concepts of design and trajectory estimation of rocket and missiles
1. ROCKETS SYSTEM 10
Ignition System in rockets – types of Igniters – Igniter Design Considerations – Design Consideration of liquid Rocket Combustion Chamber, Injector Propellant Feed Lines, Valves,
Propellant Tanks Outlet and Helium Pressurized and Turbine feed Systems – Propellant Slash and Propellant Hammer – Elimination of Geysering Effect in Missiles – Combustion System of Solid Rockets.
2. AERODYNAMICS OF ROCKETS AND MISSILES 13
Airframe Components of Rockets and Missiles – Forces Acting on a Missile While Passing Through Atmosphere – Classification of Missiles – methods of Describing Aerodynamic Forces and Moments – Lateral Aerodynamic Moment – Lateral Damping Moment and Longitudinal Moment of a Rocket – lift and Drag Forces – Drag Estimation – Body Upwash and Downwash in Missiles – Rocket Dispersion – Numerical Problems.
3. ROCKET MOTION IN FREE SPACE AND GRAVITATIONAL FIELD 10
One Dimensional and Two Dimensional rocket Motions in Free Space and Homogeneous Gravitational Fields – description of Vertical, Inclined and Gravity Turn Trajectories – Determination of range and Altitude Simple Approximations to Burnout Velocity.
4. STAGING AND CONTROL OF ROCKETS AND MISSILES 7
Rocket Vector Control – Methods – Thrust determination – SITVC – Multistaging of rockets – Vehicle Optimization – Stage Separation Dynamics – Separation Techniques.
5. MATERIALS FOR ROCKETS AND MISSILES 5
Selection of Materials – Special Requirements of Materials to Perform under Adverse Conditions.
TOTAL : 45
1. Sutton, G.P., et al., “Rocket Propulsion Elements”, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 1993.
1. Mathur, M., and Sharma, R.P., “ Gas Turbines and Jet and Rocket Propulsion”, Standard Publishers, New Delhi 1998.
2. Cornelisse, J.W., “ Rocket Propulsion and Space Dynamics”, J.W., Freeman & Co. Ltd., London, 1982.
3. Parket, E.R., “ Materials for Missiles and Spacecraft”, McGraw-Hill Book Co. Inc., 1982.