AE1353 EXPERIMENTAL STRESS ANALYSIS 3 0 0 100
To bring awareness on experimental method of finding the response of the structure to different types of load.
1. MEASUREMENTS 4
Principles of measurements, Accuracy, Sensitivity and range of measurements.
2. EXTENSOMETERS 6
Mechanical, Optical Acoustical and Electrical extensometers and their uses,
Advantages and disadvantages.
3. ELECTRICAL RESISTANCE STRAIN GAUGES 10
Principle of operation and requirements, Types and their uses, Materials for strain gauge. Calibration and temperature compensation, cross sensitivity, Rosette analysis, Wheastone bridge and potentiometer circuits for static and dynamic strain measurements, strain indicators.
4. PHOTOELASTICITY 10
Two dimensional photo elasticity, Concept of light – photoelastic effects, stress optic law, Interpretation of fringe pattern, Compensation and separation techniques, Photo elastic materials. Introduction to three dimensional photo elasticity.
5. NON – DESTRUCTIVE TESTING 15
Fundamentals of NDT, Radiography, ultrasonic, magnetic particle inspection, Fluorescent penetrant technique, Eddy current testing, Acoustic Emission Technique, Fundamentals of brittle coating methods, Introduction to Moiré techniques, Holography, ultrasonic C- Scan, Thermograph, Fiber – optic Sensors.
TOTAL : 45
1. Srinath, L.S., Raghava, M.R., Lingaiah, K., Garagesha, G., Pant B., and Ramachandra, K., “Experimental Stress Analysis”, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 1984.
1. Dally, J.W., and Riley, W.F., “Experimental Stress Analysis”, McGraw-Hill Inc., New York, 1998.
2. Hetyenyi, M., “Hand book of Experimental Stress Analysis”, John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York, 1972.
3. Pollock A.A., “Acoustic Emission in Acoustics and Vibration Progress”, Ed. Stephens R.W.B., Chapman and Hall, 1993.