AE1352 HEAT TRANSFER 3 0 0 100
To introduce the concepts of heat transfer to enable the students to design components subjected to thermal loading.
1. HEAT CONDUCTION 11
Basic Modes of Heat Transfer – One dimensional steady state heat conduction: Composite Medium – Critical thickness – Effect of variation of thermal Conductivity – Extended Surfaces –
Heat Conduction: Lumped System Analysis – Heat Transfer in Semi infinite and infinite solids – Use of Transient – Temperature charts – Application of numerical techniques.
2. CONVECTIVE HEAT TRANSFER 10
Introduction – Free convection in atmosphere free convection on a vertical flat plate – Empirical relation in free convection – Forced convection – Laminar and turbulent convective heat transfer analysis in flows between parallel plates, over a flat plate and in a circular pipe. Empirical relations, application of numerical techniques in problem solving.
3. RADIATIVE HEAT TRANSFER 8
Introduction to Physical mechanism – Radiation properties – Radiation shape factors – Heat exchange between non – black bodies – Radiation shields.
4. HEAT EXCHANGERS 8
Classification – Temperature Distribution – Overall heat transfer coefficient, Heat Exchange Analysis – LMTD Method and E-NTU Method.
5. HEAT TRANSFER PROBLEMS IN AEROSPACE ENGINEERING 8
High-Speed flow Heat Transfer, Heat Transfer problems in gas turbine combustion chambers – Rocket thrust chambers – Aerodynamic heating – Ablative heat transfer.
TOTAL : 45
1. Yunus A. Cengel., “Heat Transfer – A practical approach”, Second Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2002.
2. Incropera. F.P.and Dewitt.D.P. “ Introduction to Heat Transfer”, John Wiley and Sons – 2002.
1. Lienhard, J.H., “A Heat Transfer Text Book”, Prentice Hall Inc., 1981.
2. Holman, J.P. “Heat Transfer”, McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., New York, 6th Edn., 1991.
3. Sachdeva, S.C., “Fundamentals of Engineering Heat & Mass Transfer”, Wiley Eastern Ltd., New Delhi, 1981.
4. Mathur, M. and Sharma, R.P. “Gas Turbine and Jet and Rocket Propulsion”, Standard Publishers, New Delhi 1988.