AE1302 AIRCRAFT STRUCTURES – II 3 1 0 100
To study the behaviour of various aircraft structural components under different types of loads.
1. UNSYMMETRICAL BENDING 8+3
Bending stresses in beams of unsymmetrical sections – Bending of symmetric sections with skew loads.
2. SHEAR FLOW IN OPEN SECTIONS 10+3
Thin walled beams, Concept of shear flow, shear centre, Elastic axis. With one axis of symmetry,
with wall effective and ineffective in bending, unsymmetrical beam sections.
3. SHEAR FLOW IN CLOSED SECTIONS 10+3
Bredt – Batho formula, Single and multi – cell structures. Approximate methods. Shear flow in single & multicell structures under torsion. Shear flow in single and multicell under bending with walls effective and ineffective.
4. BUCKLING OF PLATES 10+3
Rectangular sheets under compression, Local buckling stress of thin walled sections, Crippling stresses by Needham’s and Gerard’s methods, Thin walled column strength. Sheet stiffener panels. Effective width, inter rivet and sheet wrinkling failures.
5. STRESS ANALYSIS IN WING AND FUSELAGE 7+3
Procedure – Shear and bending moment distribution for semi cantilever and other types of wings and fuselage, thin webbed beam. With parallel and non parallel flanges, Shear resistant web beams, Tension field web beams (Wagner’s).
TOTAL : 60
1. Peery, D.J., and Azar, J.J., “Aircraft Structures”, 2nd edition, McGraw–Hill, N.Y., 1993.
1. Megson, T.M.G., “Aircraft Structures for Engineering Students”, Edward Arnold, 1995.
2. Bruhn. E.H. “Analysis and Design of Flight vehicles Structures”, Tri – state off set company, USA, 1985.
3. Rivello, R.M., “Theory and Analysis of Flight Structures”, McGraw-Hill, 1993.