AE1253 MECHANICS OF MACHINES 3 1 0 100
(Common to Production Automobile and Aeronautical -IV Semester)
To expose the students the different mechanisms, their method of working, Forces involved and consequent vibration during working
1. MECHANISMS 9+3
Machine Structure – Kinematic link, pair and chain – Grueblers criteria – Constrained motion – Degrees of freedom - Slider crank and crank rocker mechanisms – Inversions – Applications –
Kinematic analysis of simple mechanisms – Determination of velocity and acceleration.
2. FRICTION 9+3
Friction in screw and nut – Pivot and collar – Thrust bearing – Plate and disc clutches – Belt (flat and V) and rope drives. Ratio of tensions – Effect of centrifugal and initial tension – Condition for maximum power transmission – Open and crossed belt drive.
3. GEARING AND CAMS 9+3
Gear profile and geometry – Nomenclature of spur and helical gears – Gear trains: Simple, compound gear trains and epicylic gear trains - Determination of speed and torque - Cams – Types of cams – Design of profiles – Knife edged, flat faced and roller ended followers with and without offsets for various types of follower motions.
4. BALANCING 9+3
Static and dynamic balancing – Single and several masses in different planes –Balancing of reciprocating masses- primary balancing and concepts of secondary balancing – Single and multi cylinder engines (Inline) – Balancing of radial V engine – direct and reverse crank method.
5. VIBRATION 9+3
Free, forced and damped vibrations of single degree of freedom systems – Force transmitted to supports – Vibration isolation – Vibration absorption – Torsional vibration of shaft – Single and multi rotor systems – Geared shafts – Critical speed of shaft.
TOTAL : 60
1. Rattan.S.S, “Theory of Machines”, Tata McGraw–Hill Publishing Co, New Delhi, 2004.
2. Ballaney.P.L, “Theory of Machines”, Khanna Publishers, New Delhi, 2002.
1. Rao, J.S and Dukkipati, R.V, “Mechanism and Machine Theory”, Second Edition, Wiley Eastern Ltd., 1992.
2. Malhotra, D.R and Gupta, H.C., “The Theory of Machines”, Satya Prakasam, Tech. India Publications, 1989.
3. Gosh, A. and Mallick, A.K., “Theory of Machines and Mechanisms”, Affiliated East West Press, 1989.
4. Shigley, J.E. and Uicker, J.J., “Theory of Machines and Mechanisms”, McGraw-Hill, 1980.
5. Burton Paul, “Kinematics and Dynamic of Planer Machinery”, Prentice Hall, 1979.